Sunday, December 23, 2007

Rayburn Responds to Gazette Article

Today I was mentioned in Ed Sealover's article in the Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph. The article discussed my reluctance to declare whether or not I will petition on to the ballot or go through the assembly process. There are several factors behind my decision not to disclose my plans at this time, or acknowledge the calls of the Central Committee Executives to do so. The primary reason is that I would rather be out discussing my vision with the people than bogging myself down with internal party politics. I hope to appeal to the broadest voter base possible by focusing on the issues that face the Fifth District. My campaign is about the issues.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Gazette article failed to mention something absolutely critical to the full picture. The Caucus process and Assembly does not fall to just 600 people as the article stated. Those 600 are delegates representing the results of 380+ Caucus Meetings where people from every corner of the District get a voice in who their next representative to Congress is. This is involvement of the grassroots and it's one reason the Caucus system is important. Otherwise, those 1000 signatures needed to petition on the ballot could come from three or four precincts in one tiny area of the 5th Congressional District... it's a valid and important distinction. In addition to posting this here on B. Rayburn's blog I'll be posting this on Colorado Pols.

Rayburn4Congress said...

Thanks for the input. I realize the importance of the precinct delegates, and will get around to deciding the technical issue of which is the best way to get on the ballot when the time comes.

Anonymous said...

"and will get around to deciding the technical issue of which is the best way to get on the ballot when the time comes."

And the time came, apparently.

Seems your top priority is getting on the ballot, a kind of end run around the true grass roots way of doing things, rather than working up support from caucus attendees. If you aren't going to work hard enough for that support from loyal party members and prefer to simply smile and thrust copies of petitions at people coming out of Wal-Mart, how can we know you will work hard for us in Congress? With all due respect.

Rayburn4Congress said...

I appreciate your concerns, but have to disagree. I have made the decision that is best for my campaign at this time. The caucus process is a viable and important process and so is the petition process. I have decided to collect several thousand signatures from throughout the district, not just outside of the Walmart as you suggest.